Overview: eDB360 is a free tool that provides a 360-degree view of an Oracle database on the Cloud or on-premises. Its output can be used as a foundation for a database health-check, a performance evaluation, or to collect resources utilization needed for a sizing and provisioning plan. Of course it can also be used to simply get a glance of an entire Oracle database.
With eDB360, a user with limited access can acquire a good understanding of an Oracle database without having to log into the server directly. This capability is of great value to developers, system administrators, 3rd party consultants, or any remote user with limited access to an Oracle database.
eDB360 tool is database centric. Notice that in case of RAC database(s), it only needs to be executed on one node and it gets information about all of them. eDB360 works on Oracle 10g to 12c databases. eDB360 works on Linus and UNIX systems. For Windows systems you may want to install first UNIX Utilities (UnxUtils) and a zip program, else a few OS commands may not properly work.
Each execution of eDB360 may take up to 24 hours, thus it is recommended executing it overnight or over a weekend. Test eDB360 on a lower environment before executing on Production. Since eDB360 execution time is a frequent concern, a blog post explains how to diagnose cases where eDB360 takes long to execute.
For other FAQ or more information about eDB360, check links below or simply Google: eDB360.
Note: To execute this eDB360 tool, the database should be licensed to use at least the Oracle Diagnostics pack (else the output is very small and of little use). If the database is licensed for both the Tuning and the Diagnostics pack, then respond with a “T” to the first execution parameter. This tool has an optional second parameter, which allows to specify a custom configuration filename. This second parameter is seldom needed, so when asked to enter such filename, simply hit the “enter” or “return” key, unless of course you want to customize an aspect of eDB360 (advanced mode).
- Download latest version v1706 (Feb 19, 2017)
- Sample Output
- Readme included in tool
- Blog post: eDB360 takes long to execute
- Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
- Download edb360-master.zip from link above.
- Copy edb360-master.zip to server where eDB360 will be executed, and unzip there.
- Navigate to edb360-master directory and connect into SQL*Plus (use an account that can read from the data dictionary).
- Execute SQL script sql/awr_ash_pre_check.sql and review output, specially last page. Then decide if continuing with eDB360 or remediate first findings reported.
- Execute SQL script edb360.sql. Pass value “T” as the first parameter if the database has the Tuning pack license, or “D” if it has the Diagnostics pack license (if having both licenses then pass “T”). For most cases, simply hit “enter” to skip the 2nd parameter, which is optional and it is designed to configure eDB360.
- Provide to requestor the compressed output file: edb360_<NNNNNN>_<NNNNNN>_YYYYMMDD_HH24MI.zip.